[Xastir] Christmas present: Messaging Fixes

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Sun Dec 26 12:37:33 EST 2004

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004, James Ewen wrote:

> > Did any errors occur?  Check your "make.log" file to see.
>
> There are 738 lines in my make.log. Of those, I can find only a few that
> look like they MAY be errors.
>
> I have the messages about rtree, that I indicated in a previous message.
> Whether they are errors, or simply more verbose output, I don't know.
>
> I have a warning about aclocal: underquoted definition of AC_CHECK_FT2
> Configure complains about a missing script.
> Gcc complains about unrecognized option '-no-undefined' a couple times
>
> Are warnings errors, or are they simply warnings?
>
> I can see why configure is complaining. I have two user names on Cygwin, one
> was picked up from Windows 'James Ewen' and a second 'james'
>
> Through most of the make.log, the directory name is quoted, and the space in
> 'James Ewen' doesn't cause a problem. The section where configure is having
> a problem, there are no quotes, so Cygwin has a problem with the space in
> the user name.

That's a known problem.  It's talked about in the 2nd paragraph of
the README.win32 file.  Can't you just log in as "james" to
compile/run Xastir?

> How can I change the user name to one that is more compatible with *nix?

Log in as a different user?

> > With the new code, only the first copy of an ACK or the first
> > copy of a new message for you should cause the windows to pop up.
>
> Looks like I have the new code though...
>
> You've got to be a glutton for punishment to want to run Xastir!

You're again looking at it from a Windows perspective.  You must
remember that it is a native Unix/Linux X-Windows application, not a
Windows application.  You're able to run it on Windows only because
of a free emulator called Cygwin that is able to run some Unix apps
on Windows.  It's a very foreign environment for a Unix app to be
running on Windows.

Get a Linux or other Unix box going and you'll see how nice it plays
with the OS!

There _are_ people out there that have switched to Linux in order to
run Xastir, then converted the rest of their computing world to
Linux, so we've done a little bit of good in the world.  ;-)

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer