[Xastir] Christmas present: Messaging Fixes

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Sun Dec 26 18:26:01 EST 2004

On Sun, Dec 26, 2004 at 04:10:33PM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <russo at bogodyn.org> flavor, containing:
> On Sun, Dec 26, 2004 at 03:29:03PM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <jewen at shaw.ca> flavor, containing:
> > >
> > > Windows.  You'd need to create a new user and log in that
> > > way.  Cygwin just pulls your user name out of whatever your
> > > windows login is.
> >
> > I changed my Windows login to jewen, and rebooted the computer. I'm now
> > logged into Windows as jewen. I started up Cygwin, and I'm logged into
> > Cygwin as James Ewen at VE6SRV.
>
> Arrgh.
>
> I hope it isn't the case that cygwin saves the userid of the user that
> installed it.

Grumble.  Sorry I can't be more help, but when I log into the kid's machine
as myself, cygwin tells me I'm "russo at thatmachine," when I log in as her it
says I'm her, and when I create a new account called "Chauncey Hoffenagel" and
start cygwin, I am told I'm "Chauncey Hoffenagel at thatmachine"

For this install I have only used cygwin for testing xastir hacks.  The
one I talked about before with geda was on another machine, and it took
ages to figure out why cygwin always put me in the wrong directory --- only
by hunting through the registry was I able to find why the HOME variable was
set wrong.

If your cygwin is telling you you're "James Ewen at VE6SRV" and you're actually
logged in as jewen, there's something fishy somewhere confusing the issue.

Hmmmm.  There's one easy place to check --- you wouldn't, by any chance,
have put a "set HOME=" in one of the batch files that launches your cygwin
setup, would you?

Tijeras, NM  QRPL#1592 K2#398  SOC#236 AHTB#1 http://www.qsl.net/~km5vy/
 "When life gives you lemons, find someone with a paper cut."