[Xastir] Print and/or screen dump

JR kd1yv at arrl.net
Tue Dec 28 01:35:04 EST 2004

Tom Russo wrote:

>On Sun, Dec 26, 2004 at 05:18:59PM -0500, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <kd1yv at arrl.net> flavor, containing:
>

>>happens at that point.  From the documentation, I believe that a gv
>>window is supposed to appear with the image for further manipulation
>>before trying to actually print, but it does not.
>>

>Yes, when you click "preview" it should create a .ps file in ~/.xastir/tmp
>and run gv on it.

The evidence is that is does neither.

>Could you look at the config.h that's generated in your build directory and
>see where it says gv is?  It'll look something like:
>
>/* Path to gv */
>#define GV_PATH "/usr/X11R6/bin/gv"

Yes, that is the path that it has, and that is where gv lives.  gv mod
is 0755.

>while you're at it, look at what it has for "HAVE_CONVERT"

#define HAVE_CONVERT 1

>>I tried setting the debug level to 512 and printing.  However, I cannot
>>see where the console output is.  I looked in /var/logs and ~/.xastir
>>and all of the directories and files below them, but none have been
>>updated in accordance with the debug settings.  Is there somewhere else
>>that I should look for the console output?
>>

>It should show up in the shell window where you started xastir, just dumped
>to the screen.

OK, at first, I was running xastir by launching an icon from the KDE
desktop.  If there was any console output, it was going to la-la-land.
Based on your suggestion, I am running it from a shell.

The only message that I am seeing is:
"Creating /home/kd1yv8/.xastir/tmp/print.xpm
ERROR writing /home/kd1yv8/.xastir/tmp/print.xpm".

It doesn't matter if the debug level is 512 or 0, the message is the same.

At first, I thought the obvious was that the permissions must be wrong
on that directory.  They were 0700 with kd1yv8/users.  I chmod them to
0777, but still get the exact same error.  I tried the same on all of
the directories under .xastir, but still the same results.

I get the impression that the error is probably due to mis-set
permissions somewhere, but the error message doesn't give me any help
where to look.

Thanks,

Jim