[Xastir] D700 commands

James Ewen jewen at shaw.ca
Tue Dec 28 22:56:38 EST 2004

> > I also dumped all of the delays out of the startup and stop
> files. Now
> > it doesn't take 10 seconds to configure, only about 2.
>
> If that works for you, great.  But the delays were placed
> there because at least on some of our D700s, the startup
> files were bumping up against delays in the D700 and failing.
>  Look at your incoming data window.  Are you seeing lots of
> "Eh?" responses?  It could be blazing through the file, and
> not actually getting all the setup right.

Hmm, it didn't seem to cause any problems. I got into PKT mode and was
seeing local RF data and able to TX. I shut down without incident. Now of
course I wasn't watching the incoming data window, because I never knew it
existed... I never really explored that menu much.

Way back in the dark recesses of my mind, I recall having problems with the
D700. I was trying to get it to do things, and having it fail. It was
related to the incoming data. Aha, it was trying to get the PM buttons to
work. The interesting thing with the D700 is that the front panel talks to
the main body along the same data stream as the APRS data.

I figured out that if the radio was receiving incoming APRS data when I was
pressing the PM button, it would not work. Perhaps the failures you were
seeing were due to the incoming data getting interwoven into the commands.
Our area has a very low channel load, so I don't have that problem. Perhaps
something as simple as changing frequency first, setting all other
parameters, and then changing back to 144.390 would solve the problem.

You could remove the delays, and try it on a simplex channel where there's
no activity to make sure the radio is able to keep up. I'm sure I read
somewhere that the incoming commands can be stuffed to the radio as fast as
you want, it all gets buffered until the radio can get to it.

I'll spend more time looking into that in the upcoming days. This is stuff
that I understand!

James