[Xastir] libgeotiff

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Mon Feb 2 12:09:39 EST 2004

On Mon, 2 Feb 2004, Brian D Heaton wrote:

> 	libgeotiff is used to display TIFF format raster map files with
> additional data added to the encoding for georegistration.  Its like the
> .geo files from your UI-View maps, but its embedded right in the .tif
> map file itself.

Considering where Erik lives, he probably won't have much interest
in the geotiff maps, unless he has a particular interest in the U.S.

> 	A full description of the functions of all the different libraries and
> the proper order for installing them is found in the INSTALL file.
> There is also additional information in the README.MAPS file.  I know
> that there are a lot of folks using the UI-View maps with Xastir so the
> answer is somewhere.

If you follow the directions in the Xastir online help and in the
INSTALL/README* files, getting the UI-View maps to work in Xastir is
relatively easy.

Erik has had most of his maps working in Xastir before, so it
doesn't appear to be an Xastir or a library problem.  So far it
appears to be a case-sensitivity problem only.

If someone has time to work with Erick and help him, it'd be
appreciated.  I was working with him but ran out of time.  Most of
the problems he had appeared to be caused by case problems in the
original .INF files he was starting from.  Of course Windows masks
the fact that the names didn't match.  Linux doesn't.

> 	I've got the full complement of libraries installed: proj, geotiff,
> shapelib, festival, libpcre, etc.  On the summary screen the only thing
> I don't have installed is gpsman.  They don't take much space on your HD
> and they will enable you to use any map you may come across.  The best
> thing I can think of is to install all the support libraries (one at a
> time) and see which one fixes it.  The additional libraries won't break
> anything on your system.

Except perhaps for GDAL, which can use libgeotiff, libshp, and
libproj, but also has internal versions of some of them.  You can
get into problems where symbols from libgdal are getting linked
instead of the individual libraries, particularly on systems where
the linker or loader don't respect the order of the libraries on the
command line.  To get out of that problem, you can compile libgdal
to use the external libraries instead.  I'd avoid installing GDAL
right now unless you're willing to take on problems such as these
and have a specific need for GDAL.