[Xastir] Two stupid Q's

John Bennett jabennett at insightbb.com
Tue Feb 3 11:26:12 EST 2004

Kurt,

Installed on RH9 here. After much cussing, teeth-grinding, etc. I
discovered that you need a bunch of devel packages installed in order to
get it built under RHx. The devel packages contain the required header
and library files for Xastir to compile and link. Many are not present
in a normal RH installation. It is not necessary to rip everything out
and install the tarballs. Be warned that doing so may break other things
in RH since they have a tendency to move things around as compared to
other flavors of Linux.

One lib not in RHx is the shapelib package. You will need the tarball
for that. Nothing in the package docs tell how to build/install as a
library. Follow Curt's instructions in the Xastir INSTALL file to
build/install the library so that it will be seen when Xastir is built.

John
n4xi

On Tue, 2004-02-03 at 08:46, Kurt A. Freiberger wrote:
> Stupid Q1: Where are the archives?  I can't find them in my notes anywhere.
>             I'd search for the answer to Q2.
>
> Stupid Q2: RH 9.0 - WS install, Got over the ImageMagick hurdle (I think).
>            Now, it dies in map_geo.c line 161: undefined reference to "CompressImageColormap".  I put in the bzip2-devel.
> Why I think I got over the IM hurdle: I unRPMed the RH packages and got teh source RPM.  It seemed towork fine except it failed in making the target ImageMagick-perl stuff.  Same happened when I did it on my other RH9 so long ago, and it works.
>
> Comments, quetions, snide remarks, outright accurate slurs on my capabilities?
>
> Thanks,
> Kurt

John Bennett
Evansville, IN