[Xastir] PostGIS shapefile dumps

Brian D Heaton brian.heaton at janusresearch.com
Wed Feb 4 10:54:05 EST 2004

Erik,

	Have you tried pulling the data into another app that can read
shapefiles to see if it likes it?  ESRI's ArcExplorer (
http://www.esri.com/software/arcexplorer/index.html ) might make a good
starting point.

		THX/BDH

On Tue, 2004-02-03 at 20:42, Erik G. Burrows wrote:
> I'm poking around with PostGIS as a way to make a shapefile map of some
> of my GPS waypoints and tracks. Using GPSman and a Perl script, I have
> my waypoints in a PostGIS table.
>
> With PostGIS's pgsql2shp utility or OGL's ogr2ogr utility, I can
> generate a shapefile from my PostgreSQL 'waypoints' table, but xastir
> will not load the map.
>
> Using either utility to generate the shapefile, xastir complains about
> 'extent incorrect'. With pgsql2shp it says both the 'top' and 'bottom'
> extents are incorrect, and with ogr2ogr, it's just the 'bottom' extent.
>
> The commands I'm using to create the shapefiles are:
> ogr2ogr waypoints.shp "PG:dbname=eburrows user=eburrows password=xxxxxx"
> waypoints
>
> and
>
> pgsql2shp -f waypoints.shp -u eburrows -P xxxx eburrows waypoints
>
> Both utilities create the .shp, .shx and .dbf files. I've manually
> confirmed that at least the pgsql2shp utility is working by feeding the
> shapefile output into shp2pgsql and verifying the output.
>
> An example of the error from the pgsql2shp shapefile is:
> index_restore_from_file: bottom extent incorrect 74678400 in map name:
> Waypoints/waypoints.shp
>
> index_restore_from_file: top extent incorrect 74678400 in map name:
> Waypoints/waypoints.shp
>
> I put the shapefiles up on the web, in case it helps:
> http://www.erikburrows.com/files/ogr2ogr
> http://www.erikburrows.com/files/pgsql2shp
>

> Thanks for any insight!
Brian D Heaton
Senior Network Engineer
Janus Research Group
(706) 791-8342
GPG Fingerprint: C99E 3E9C E23A 4E47 46F4 0A77 3A45 CB65 9E19 5B0A