[Xastir] Xastir on Mepis - ttyS0 hard fail

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Sun Feb 8 15:40:09 EST 2004

On 8 Feb 2004, Gale Wilkinson wrote:

> My next question in this case is:  Is there some nice little program
> that I could use to see if/what is using ttyS0 at any given time?  I am
> fairly new to Linux and am not sure how to track down what is actually
> locking the port for me...

Check in /var/lock or /var/locks, perhaps your system has some other
area under /var or /usr for creating lockfiles.  If you find a
lockfile, check whether there is either a text string naming the
program in the lockfile, or a process ID number that you can use
with "ps" or "top" to determine which process opened the port.

These methods expect that whatever is using the port was nice enough
to create a standard lockfile.  Not everything does this.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer