[Xastir] TNC setup and maps

Bob Nielsen nielsen at oz.net
Sun Feb 8 23:08:44 EST 2004

On 02/08/04 19:38:27, Chris Abbott wrote:
> Hey, I just recently purchased a MFJ-1270, TNC 2 TNC. I was wondering
> how do you setup up the Ax.25 protocol in Linux to read off of
> /dev/tnc(which is really a link to /dev/ttyS0).

You need to put the TNC in KISS mode (the commands are KISS ON followed
by RESTART).  The LEDs should blink 3 times following this.  There's
quite a bit of setup required for AX.25.  You need to have the protocol
and the mkiss driver in your kernel (not the default in most
distributions), install libax25 and ax25-tools (probably ax25-apps, as
well).  The AX25-HOWTO has all the required information, but it is a
bit disorganized.

> Also, I just recently
> updated xastir and now all of my maps are gone, it won't pull from
> the
> Internet for maps, but it does get packets successfully thorough with
> the IGate option.

Did you update from a really old version?  If so there are some
migration scripts you need to run.  See the UPGRADE file for details.

Bob, N7XY