[Xastir] KISS TNC tx delays

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Fri Feb 13 10:43:48 EST 2004

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004, Matt Werner wrote:

> This is actually a thread I brought up around Dec 1, 2003.
>
> At the time I noticed that the STA light on my 9612 in KISS mode would light
> up and stay lit for a long period of time before an actual transmission
> occured (maybe 10 seconds).  This isn't as big of an issue for regular
> position transmits, but is more of a problem for messages and a large
> problem when my station is acting as a RELAY.
>
> Curt worked with me (THANKS) and got the delay down to less than 2 seconds.
>
> The delay is back again.  I noticed it a week or two ago - hard to say how
> long it's actually been there - I don't update from CVS on a regular basis
> and don't watch the system real close afterwards.  Right now I'm looking at
> about 9 seconds from when xastir starts talking to the TNC to when it
> actually transmits on a clear channel.

Well, let me first say that you're on top of things!

> File/Configure/Timing/Serial Inter-Char Delay is at 0.
>
> The ideal I think would be less of a delay than the 2 seconds we had it down
> to.  Back when
> I ran JNOS and TNOS, we didn't see any noticable delay other than what would
> have been expected due to the baud rate - that is, at 19200, the STA light
> would typically just flicker for the shorter packets.

Nine seconds sounds about right, unless you update to the latest
CVS, checked in 17 hours ago.  It had been noticed that the tnc-stop
file wasn't given enough time to get flushed to the TNC when closing
a port.  Three separate 2-second delays were added, which is
probably the version you have now.

Erik Burrows just contributed code that would wait for the output
queue to be flushed and then close the port, and also took out the
2-second delays.  The end result is the fastest we can go, without
waiting unnecessarily.  That code is what is in CVS now.