[Xastir] KISS TNC tx delays

Matt Werner kb0kqa at arrl.net
Fri Feb 13 02:10:21 EST 2004

This is actually a thread I brought up around Dec 1, 2003.

At the time I noticed that the STA light on my 9612 in KISS mode would light
up and stay lit for a long period of time before an actual transmission
occured (maybe 10 seconds).  This isn't as big of an issue for regular
position transmits, but is more of a problem for messages and a large
problem when my station is acting as a RELAY.

Curt worked with me (THANKS) and got the delay down to less than 2 seconds.

The delay is back again.  I noticed it a week or two ago - hard to say how
long it's actually been there - I don't update from CVS on a regular basis
and don't watch the system real close afterwards.  Right now I'm looking at
about 9 seconds from when xastir starts talking to the TNC to when it
actually transmits on a clear channel.

File/Configure/Timing/Serial Inter-Char Delay is at 0.

The ideal I think would be less of a delay than the 2 seconds we had it down
to.  Back when
I ran JNOS and TNOS, we didn't see any noticable delay other than what would
have been expected due to the baud rate - that is, at 19200, the STA light
would typically just flicker for the shorter packets.

73 - Matt