[Xastir] KISS TNC mode via Mixw problem

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Fri Feb 13 12:02:46 EST 2004

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004, n2wsg wrote:

> > Does MixW use handshake lines?  If so, it is not per KISS
> > specifications.  I suspect UI-View is setting your handshakes
> > active, and then Xastir is leaving them that way.  Xastir doesn't
> > mess with the handshake lines in KISS mode.
>
> MixW does not use Handshake lines. RTS and DTR are always on. I don't know
> if it uses XON/XOFF software handshaking. UI-View does send ^M, KISS ON,
> RESTART into the TNC and 192, 255, 192 to exit the TNC. It also has a TX
> delay of 400 msec, Tx Tail of 40 msec, Slot time of 100 msec and Persist of
> 64.

You're going to be the best person to debug this as you're actually
running it.  I haven't heard of anyone else using MixW with Xastir.
Isn't it great to be first?

It could be a few things:

1) Xastir doesn't do the KISS ON and later the kiss packet to take
the TNC back out of KISS mode.  If you use a KISS interface, Xastir
expects the TNC to be in KISS mode already.

2) There are ways of getting a KISS TNC wedged, where it won't talk
until you send it the proper characters again.  I think it has to do
with the KISS framing characters, but I can't recall now.

3) Handshakes, although from your description I don't think that's
it.  Check though whether the handshakes are set the same on the
lines when using UI-View or using Xastir.