[Xastir] Xastir's been crashing lately on Solaris.

Chris Bell cbell at junknet.com
Fri Feb 13 15:37:26 EST 2004

> I've been getting a "Alarm Clock" and Xastir dies on my system (Solaris
> 8 on a Sparc)
>
> I also did some quick google searches and 2 things basicly came up,
> using nanosleep() instead of usleep().  There are 44 instances of usleep
> in the code, so I had no idea which one might be causing the problem.
> Or using Posix threads instead of Solaris threading (which I already
> am.  I checked the Makefiles and it is using -lpthreads)

I do not think this is the real problem... it is working fine on my
machines here. (solaris 7, 8, 9, linux all on sparc)

> I know that it's kind of a stupid error, so I ran debug level 3 and this
> is the last output.
>
> I hope I helped, a little.  Dick R. - KC8OBZ

Thanks! this does help!

> Starting device 1
> Port Available 1
> Opening a Network stream
> IP Address: ÿ¾ð8þub°ÿÿÿÿþFà

That does not look good!!!!

What interfaces are up (and which servers), how long before the crash?
I remember looking at a similar problem when I started and stopped
interfaces too often... they would get confused, and the device
structures would get trashed and then start getting garbage like this.
(I think that is what is happening to you, and the network libraries
are timing out and doing strange things due to bad input.)  When
running in the debugger it would not happen... and I have not seen it
for a while now.  If I can get it to reproduce easier I will attack it
again.

My sparc-linux long running instance has been up for 208 days!  My
other solaris instances are more for development, so they only run for
a week or so before I restart to get new updates.  I have not crashed
in quite a while (except for some dbfawk related bugs...).

Chris.