[Xastir] maps

Scott Ryan, AB8KN ab8kn at arrl.net
Sat Feb 21 10:15:28 EST 2004

On Feb 20, 2004, at 9:59 PM, Curt Mills wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Feb 2004, Jerry Chamberlin wrote:
>
>> Broke here
>>

>> On Fri, 20 Feb 2004, Scott Ryan, AB8KN wrote:
>>
>>> I'm seeing the exact same set of symptoms.  I've tried to ping
>>> tiger.census.gov and, as posted on the "Tiger maps server - kaput??"
>>> thread, get no response.  Are tiger maps working for anybody or is it
>>> safe to assume that it's a tiger.census.gov issue at this point?
>
> Might be a good time to install Shapelib support into Xastir and
> download some local street maps from esri.com...  That's what I use
> mostly because I'm on a dialup here and internet maps are too slow.
> Also use the local maps in my Jeep of course.
>
> --
> Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
> http://www.eskimo.com/~archer
>   Lotto:  A tax on people who are bad at math. - unknown
> Windows:  Microsoft's tax on computer illiterates. - WE7U.
> The world DOES revolve around me:  I picked the coordinate system!"

Thanks, Curt, as it would happen I do have Shapelib support for Xastir
and your comment made me decide it was time to go map hunting.

I had never spent much time with the readme.maps file.  Last night I
did.  I know that there have been some discussions on this list about
maps and fairly recently to boot, but after I discovered the Tiger maps
I'll admit I did not  pay much attention.  I will in the future.  From
the Stating the Obvious Department: There are some really nice maps out
there.

73, Scott