[Xastir] xastir and aprsd

N1OFZ n1ofz at arrl.net
Mon Feb 23 20:05:00 EST 2004

Hi all,

I upgraded my router this weekend and put in a DRSI card.  Now I have 2
available AX.25 devices.  With my current setup I run aprsd on the
router and it feeds multiple machines running xastir.  Up until this
point I did not have an extra tnc for APRS so I have not been running
any rf.  Now that I do, would it be better to attach one of the devices
under aprsd or under xastir?  I think the end results would be the same
but I figure someone has done this before and can share the pros/cons.
We do need a good relay/wide in the area so please take that into
account.

One more related question:  Is anyone aware of a way to run a serial
port over Ethernet under Linux?  I think it would be pretty cool to
have a 'virtual' tnc that any computer on my network could use.  I know
I can ssh to the router and use minicom but I specifically want to be
able to use local programs.  I have done this before with a black box
device (Digi PortServer) but I no longer have the device.  Any ideas?

Thanks,
Dana  N1OFZ