[Xastir] xastir and aprsd

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Tue Feb 24 11:39:06 EST 2004

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004, N1OFZ wrote:

> would it be better to attach one of the devices
> under aprsd or under xastir?

Both.  Set up aprsd to be your gateway.  Connect Xastir to the same
port but don't set up igating on it.  That way you've nicely
separated your server/client process, and can share ports.  You can
also create multiple users and start up multiple Xastir clients that
way, all sharing the same port.  You just have to type "xhost
localhost" as the user who owns the X11 screen so that the other
users can also put GUI windows onto X11.  I suppose you could also
switch to another virtual console and start up more copies of X11 as
different users also, if you have enough CPU/memory for that.

> One more related question:  Is anyone aware of a way to run a serial
> port over Ethernet under Linux?  I think it would be pretty cool to
> have a 'virtual' tnc that any computer on my network could use.  I know
> I can ssh to the router and use minicom but I specifically want to be
> able to use local programs.  I have done this before with a black box
> device (Digi PortServer) but I no longer have the device.  Any ideas?

I believe there are ways to do this.  I haven't tried this myself
but have wanted to.  If someone comes up with an easy method, we
should document it and get it into our docs.  The question has been
brought up before.

Perhaps a quick google search on "remote serial ports unix" or
"terminal servers unix" might yield an answer.