[Xastir] xastir and aprsd

Bill Bird billbird at cal.berkeley.edu
Tue Feb 24 13:08:40 EST 2004

Curt, WE7U wrote:

> Both.  Set up aprsd to be your gateway.  Connect Xastir to the same
> port but don't set up igating on it.  That way you've nicely
> separated your server/client process, and can share ports.  You can
> also create multiple users and start up multiple Xastir clients that
> way, all sharing the same port.  You just have to type "xhost
> localhost" as the user who owns the X11 screen so that the other
> users can also put GUI windows onto X11.  I suppose you could also
> switch to another virtual console and start up more copies of X11 as
> different users also, if you have enough CPU/memory for that.

I might be missing the solution I'm looking for (in the answer above)...

I like to view the local APRS on RF here in St. Louis on computers in my
basement, 1st floor, and second floor as I move around around my home.  I've
used different configurations of VNC, AGW_Packet Engine, and filtered internet
servers to accomplish viewing packets on the three computers.

For transmit I always make sure only one instance of xastir is set to allow
tranmit so I, 1) don't cause a set of extra ack's if all instances are set to
KG0YJ and someone sends me an APRS message or 2) I don't have extra confusion
and RF by having one instance be KG0YJ	, another be KG0YJ-3, and the third
KG0YJ-4 or some other dash number and they all have the same lat/long - my house.

Is there any way around this so I don't have to turn off tx on one instance
before I turn it on at another and yet avoid extra RF transmissions?

Thanks,

Bill
KG0YJ
(using Xastir on Slackware 8)