[Xastir] maps

Matt Werner kb0kqa at arrl.net
Wed Feb 25 01:21:04 EST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tim Baggett" <tbaggett at jump.net>
To: <xastir at xastir.org>
Sent: Wednesday, February 25, 2004 12:13 AM
Subject: Re: [Xastir] maps

> 1) What is the maximum number of maps (# files and file sizes) that people
> have realistically used with Xastir?

Here's what I've found here.

I have shapefiles from Tiger data (obtained from ESRI).  I have about 7-10
layers (not sure - I'd have to check) for all of MN, WI, and the UP of MI.
I have map layers set up so that when I'm in closer, I'll get roads, urban
areas, lakes and rivers, railroads, and maybe one or two other things.  When
I'm out farther (for example, my map bookmark "All of MN") I just have
county lines and urban areas I think.  The point being that you can
realistically have as many or as few maps as you want.  The biggest hassle
for me was to get them all on the hard drive, in some sort of order, and
then to set up the map chooser.  If I lost the file that the map chooser
uses to set map layers and such I'd probably give up on APRS.  I have a few
hours invested in the file, part of it chalked up to a learning experience.

> I have downloaded the entire Tiger 2002 map set, and in the process of
> converting them to Shapefiles. My goal is detailed maps for the entire US
> without relying on the Internet. Currently, I have one state converted.

Why not download the shapefiles already made?  esri.com has them in layers
by state or county.