[Xastir] maps

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Wed Feb 25 01:35:43 EST 2004

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004, Matt Werner wrote:

> Why not download the shapefiles already made?  esri.com has them in layers
> by state or county.

Yea, one trick to getting a lot of them at once is to select by
layer for a state.  Select just the layers that are of the most
interest to you first, and go back and fill in the lesser-desired
layers later.  That saves you from going into each county and
selecting all the layers you want, which takes forever.

What might be even cooler would be to split up the downloading among
20 - 50 Xastir users, and ask them to get all layers for one or two
states.  We could then dump them up on some server and give everyone
access to them via FTP/HTTP and make future downloads much easier.

If anyone has the space for this, let us know.  I might have access
to some.  I'll have to ask.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer