[Xastir] maps

Matt Werner kb0kqa at arrl.net
Wed Feb 25 01:50:48 EST 2004

> On Wed, 25 Feb 2004, Matt Werner wrote:
>
> > Why not download the shapefiles already made?  esri.com has them in
layers
> > by state or county.
>
> Yea, one trick to getting a lot of them at once is to select by
> layer for a state.  Select just the layers that are of the most
> interest to you first, and go back and fill in the lesser-desired
> layers later.  That saves you from going into each county and
> selecting all the layers you want, which takes forever.

Do you end up with one shapefile for the state then or seperate ones for
each county?  I've never done it this way.  In fact, my current map set was
provided by a friend on CD.  :)  Nice to have friends.

I like the seperate shapefiles as it reduces the load time when I'm just
looking at a few counties.

I am running xastir on a Linux 200MHz box and putting the display on my
Windows machine using cygwin, so my map loading time is s-l-o-w.  I've run
xastir on the windows box, which is a 2.0GHz, but I don't have access to the
TNC on it.  I tried running aprsd and connecting both xastir's to it, but
they seem to want to (or get forced to) disconnect after a short period of
time, and I finally ran out of time and gave up on that for now.

BTW, I have compiled and run xastir with no problems on a laptop with Win 98
using Cygwin.  I read somewhere on one of your pages that this was still
untested.

73 - Matt
KB0KQA