[Xastir] maps

Derrick J Brashear shadow at dementia.org
Wed Feb 25 11:12:33 EST 2004

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004, Curt Mills wrote:

> What might be even cooler would be to split up the downloading among
> 20 - 50 Xastir users, and ask them to get all layers for one or two
> states.  We could then dump them up on some server and give everyone
> access to them via FTP/HTTP and make future downloads much easier.

What's wrong with getting the raw data (I already have every year back to
1999, and I think 1997) and converting to shapefile? The raw data can be
mirrored with wget; surely the conversion can be scripted?

> If anyone has the space for this, let us know.  I might have access
> to some.  I'll have to ask.

I probably have the space, if the shapefiles aren't particularly larger
than the tiger data is to start with.