[Xastir] maps

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Wed Feb 25 01:32:53 EST 2004

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004, Tim Baggett wrote:

> 1) What is the maximum number of maps (# files and file sizes) that people
> have realistically used with Xastir?

Ask Chris Bell.  I think he holds the record at # of maps, in the
thousands easily.  I'm in the several hundred range, but haven't
counted them.  I should fire off a command and find out.  Let's see:

    find /usr/local/share/xastir/maps -type f -print | wc -l

I only have 1203 maps loaded here at home right now.  I think I have
more on my Jeep PC and at work.

There should be no restrictions on the size of the map either,
except for your loading time and storage requirements.  Xastir
should handle it.

> I have downloaded the entire Tiger 2002 map set, and in the process of
> converting them to Shapefiles. My goal is detailed maps for the entire US
> without relying on the Internet. Currently, I have one state converted.

Assuming the end product is quite satisfactory, mind sharing those
out to other Xastir users?

> By the way, in response to my previous email last week, GIS Tools' TGR2SHP
> utility seems to generate shapefiles that are no problem with Xastir.
> However, there must be some difference with them, as the dbfawk scripts that
> come with Xastir don't seem to take effect on the converted shapefiles as
> they do on shapefiles downloaded from ESRI's web site.

One of the fun things about Shapefiles.  The DBF portion of them can
have infinite variability.  You'll need to create your own dbfawk
files to handle your particular fields that you're generating.
There's no specification in Shapefiles for number of fields, type of
fields, naming, order, anything.  Therefore dbfawk, which lets us
adapt to nearly anything (Thanks Alan C.!).

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer