[Xastir] maps

Derrick J Brashear shadow at dementia.org
Wed Feb 25 11:20:15 EST 2004

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004, Tom Russo wrote:

> > 1) What is the maximum number of maps (# files and file sizes) that people
> > have realistically used with Xastir?
>
> I also have about 200 USGS topo maps (covering most of central New Mexico
> in 1:24000, 1:100000, and 1:250000 scale).  I also use some fairly agressive
> level settings on those, so that only a few of the 1:24000 maps are ever
> visible, since they're illegible at high soom levels anyway.  I used to
> have it set up to show the 1:25000 scale at high zoom levels, then the 1:100000
> scale at middling zoom levels, and 1:24000 at low zoom level.  I found the
> switch from the various scales to be distracting, and at high zoom levels
> the screen was just too busy, so now I only render line data at high zoom.
> These files are around 8MB each.

I typically keep 39x74-39x80, 40x72-40x80, 41x70-41x80 and 42x70-42x80
at 1:24000 on my laptop. So that's 64 or less maps per degree (42x80 is
pretty small, for instance). I should consider doing what you've done and
pulling in the 1:100000 and 1:250000 maps covering the same space.

The big problem is gisdatadepot no longer allows free download and some of
the CT maps I have appear to be corrupt.

The pool of data I have at home to draw from includes DOQs in various
forms covering MD, RI, NY, PA, OH, WV, DE, NJ, IN, IL, 1:24k DRGs covering
basically the entire northeast except part of Maine and the part of NH
above 45.00 degrees, as far west as Illinois, and as far south as
Virginia, plus scattershot other states, and 1:100k and 1:250k covering
similar areas, plus about 6 versions of Tiger data. It probably totals
300gb, mostly because the DOQs are huge. The DOQs look nice in xastir but
are slow to read and render, and fill disk very quickly.