[Xastir] topo maps

Brian D Heaton brian.heaton at janusresearch.com
Wed Feb 25 08:58:03 EST 2004

Matt,

	What you describe in your message is possible, but probably not the
best idea.  Its too easy to get a bit off in your corner coordinates and
you're never really sure what rubber-sheeting may have been done to the
map for display in your browser and/or how your browser may have
resampled/rescaled it for display.

	Judging by your call you're in the US so you can use the USGS DRG
(digital raster graph) maps for your state.  If you're still in
Minnesota it looks like the following two links will get you started on
downloads.

http://www.lmic.state.mn.us/chouse/mndata.html

http://deli.dnr.state.mn.us/

	There are a couple on-line guides to free or mostly-free GIS data
resources.  That is a good starting point, or you can just try a quick
Google for the state name and "DRG".

	I'l warn you in advance though.  Once you start downloading DRGs it can
get addictive.  I've got a 250GB drive about 2/3rds full of DRGs. <G>

			73/N5VFF