[Xastir] maps

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Wed Feb 25 12:48:04 EST 2004

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 tbaggett at jump.net wrote:

> Curt Mills:
> > There should be no restrictions on the size of the map either,
> > except for your loading time and storage requirements.  Xastir
> > should handle it.
>

> This is good to know.
>
> Storage is typically not a problem. I was quite shocked to see 200 GB Hitachi hard drives at Fry's for $99!
>
> However, I am concerned about loading time. Do you have any suggestions for optimizing the map layouts so the loading time can be reduced?

Just separating things out into separate files that are loaded at
different zoom levels.  That will cause Xastir to not have to look
at the file at all if you're outside its extents or outside its zoom
limits.

> There is no need to render the fenceline around Kirtland AFB at every zoom level - if any! Ditto for the tramway.

Unfortunately different people have different mapping needs.  I
didn't download or care about school boundaries until we were
thinking of moving because of the schools and I wanted to eliminate
looking at houses that were not inside school boundaries of
interest.

In SAR, we usually want as much detail as possible, whether or not
you might normally need those features for vehicle navigation.  When
navigating on foot or via helo, it's important to know what all
visible features are and where they appear on the map.