[Xastir] maps

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Wed Feb 25 12:55:42 EST 2004

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004, Brian D Heaton wrote:

> The second is to look at splitting the TIGER shapefiles into smaller
> chunks by a fine grained look at CFCC.  It makes a larger set of files,
> but the additional granularity is a win.  Once you have a more granular
> set of shapefile the user can customize the map levels such that only
> what is relevant at a given set of zoom levels is displayed.  This way
> you aren't loading a bunch of stuff that you can't see or make use of at
> a given zoom level.

I believe that the dbfawk stuff can give you this same sort of
granularity (or darn close), but you of course end up having Xastir
look through all the features in the file to determine this, which
can be a big waste of time.  It might look the same but take 10
times longer to display.

If you want the maximum speed for rendering lots of map data at
once, it sounds like you're headed down the correct path.  For
maximum flexibility with minimum hassle, custom dbfawk files are the
way to go.