[Xastir] maps

Brian D Heaton brian.heaton at janusresearch.com
Wed Feb 25 12:55:54 EST 2004

>From the TGR2SP License Agreement ---

--------------------
1.5 You may not distribute any data files produced through the use of
the Product to any third party, unless you pay a distribution fee and
receive prior written consent to do so from GIS Tools. For government
and education users, the term  third party  includes any governmental or
education department having a different purchasing office than the
department for which this Product was licensed.
---------------------

Houston, we have a problem......

			THX/BDH

On Wed, 2004-02-25 at 12:55, Curt, WE7U wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Feb 2004, Brian D Heaton wrote:
>
> > The second is to look at splitting the TIGER shapefiles into smaller
> > chunks by a fine grained look at CFCC.  It makes a larger set of files,
> > but the additional granularity is a win.  Once you have a more granular
> > set of shapefile the user can customize the map levels such that only
> > what is relevant at a given set of zoom levels is displayed.  This way
> > you aren't loading a bunch of stuff that you can't see or make use of at
> > a given zoom level.
>
> I believe that the dbfawk stuff can give you this same sort of
> granularity (or darn close), but you of course end up having Xastir
> look through all the features in the file to determine this, which
> can be a big waste of time.  It might look the same but take 10
> times longer to display.
>
> If you want the maximum speed for rendering lots of map data at
> once, it sounds like you're headed down the correct path.  For
> maximum flexibility with minimum hassle, custom dbfawk files are the
> way to go.
>
> --
> Curt, WE7U			    archer at eskimo dot com
> Arlington, WA, USA		http://www.eskimo.com/~archer
> "Lotto:    A tax on people who are bad at math." -- unknown
Brian D Heaton
Senior Network Engineer
Janus Research Group
(706) 791-8342
GPG Fingerprint: C99E 3E9C E23A 4E47 46F4 0A77 3A45 CB65 9E19 5B0A