[Xastir] maps

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Wed Feb 25 13:14:15 EST 2004

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 tbaggett at jump.net wrote:

> Boy, you guys are *very* helpful. You're getting way ahead of me in fact :-) It is good to have some confirmation that I'm heading down the right path with these maps.

You hang around geeks, you become geeky.  Sorry to break the news to
you in this manner.

> My intention is to process the Tiger map files on a per county basis, creating a series of shapefiles for various feature sets.
>
> Based on this thread, it seems that it would be most useable, if there is approx one feature layer shapefile per Tiger CFCC.
>

> Keeping the areas down to a county level keeps the file sizes small enough to load quickly, and managing multiple layers seems to be good for selecting the detail you want.

Yea, but it appears to me like you'll be forcing the Xastir
developers to add in more support for map groups, map preferences,
whatever you want to call it.  Otherwise the sheer number of files
will become untenable.  Poor Xastir developers.  Poor, poor Xastir
developers...