[Xastir] maps

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Wed Feb 25 13:58:52 EST 2004

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004, Brian D Heaton wrote:

> 	I've tried to use ogr2ogr before to do this, but rapidly ended up
> beating my head against the wall.  IIRC, it had to do with limitations
> of COMPLETE_CHAIN objects.
>
> 	My end goal is to rip the TIGER files into a PostGIS enabled db and
> then run queries against it followed by pgsql2shp to produce each of the
> layers.  That way I can split things out by CFCC.
>
> 	If you have a good cookbook example I'd much appreciate it.

I think the GDAL/OGR library has some support for this.  It can read
TIGER format and can talk to a database.  I haven't tried using it
in that manner yet.

What about tweaking Xastir to better handle all of the TIGER raw
files using the OGR library?  You can read TIGER now, but the
support is very limited (I know 'cuz I wrote it).  You wouldn't have
dbfawk support in that case (they only work for shapefiles
currently), and your access may or may not be slower if working with
TIGER files directly instead of shapefiles.  Don't know.