[Xastir] How to deal with .e00 files?

Tom Russo russo at bogoflux.losalamos.nm.us
Thu Feb 26 00:20:55 EST 2004

On Wed, Feb 25, 2004 at 07:20:22PM -0600, a Mr. Richard Feyler of Fort Lee, New Jersey <gerry.creager at tamu.edu> writes 'Dear Rosanne Rosannadanna':
> Check out http://sourceforge.net/projects/shapetools for 'e002shp' which
> is what I use to move from ESRI Arc Export (.e00) to shapefiles.

It works OK as long as the e00 files are not in compressed format.  There's
a utility out there called e00compr to handle that case, unless you happen
to get unlucky like I did.

I found one case, if I recall correctly, where a particular field type that's
allowed in e00 files (I forget which) was not handled properly by e002shp ---
and that field type was present in the USFS files I needed to process.  The
result was a segfault because the code simply skipped over initializing some
internal variable (the size of the field) when it encountered that type.  I
was unsuccessful in finding a quick solution, as the freely available
documentation of e00 files is spotty at best, and in this particular case I
found only one reference to this field type, a statement to the effect of "I
have never seen one of these and have no info about it."

If you get a mysterious segfault from e002shp you might be encountering the
same thing.  Or you might luck out and have a normal one.

I have since been able to use e00compr, "avce00" and ogr2ogr to convert
compressed e00 files through to avcbin format then to shapefiles -- a somewhat
convoluted process.

Tijeras, NM  QRPL#1592 K2#398  SOC#236 AHTB#1 http://www.qsl.net/~km5vy/
 "It is inhumane in my opinion to force people who have a genuine
  medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently
  view it as some kind of recreational activity."  -- Dave Barry