[Xastir] serial port error with serial GPS

Matt Werner kb0kqa at arrl.net
Fri Feb 27 01:42:40 EST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Amanda K. Martino" <amartino at coe.neu.edu>
To: <xastir at xastir.org>
Cc: <capstone_aws at yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Thursday, February 26, 2004 5:11 PM
Subject: [Xastir] serial port error with serial GPS

> I have Xastir compiled with ImageMagick support on a P3 machine running
> Linux Red Hat 9. I've tried using both serial TNC and serial GPS with
> Xastir. Serial TNC works just fine. Serial GPS, however, gives me an
> "Error opening Interface 0. Hard fail" when I try to start the interface.

Does the serial TNC work fine on the same port that the GPS doesn't work on,
or are they two different ports?  Which port is it?

A hard fail means that (if I understand correctly) xastir was unable to gain
access to the port.  It could be a permissions problem, but probably not
since you're already running as root.  It may also be that something else
already has the port, such as a mouse program.