[Xastir-dev] Re: [Xastir] Xastir old versions

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Fri Jan 9 15:20:26 EST 2004

On Fri, 9 Jan 2004, Curt, WE7U wrote:

> According to this web page, Frank started the project in July of
> 1998, and released the first version in May of 1999:
>
>     http://www.qsl.net/va3jtr/tca0100.htm

Here's an interesting thread from just before Frank released the
first version.  Back then there wasn't anything that could run on
Linux directly, but I think APRSdos worked ok on DOSemu.  There was
also a lot of push-back from the shareware authors to not allow a
free version to exist.  At least that's the gist I got of it at the
time:

    http://he.fi/archive/linux-hams/199903/0363.html

Now we are a bit more accepted, and have Bob Bruninga's blessing to
use the APRS trademark.  Xastir now runs on most of the operating
systems that the shareware versions charge for.  Things have sure
changed!