[Xastir] Yet another old-time thing...

Bob Nielsen nielsen at oz.net
Sat Jan 10 14:19:52 EST 2004

On Sat, Jan 10, 2004 at 08:19:50AM -0800, Curt Mills wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Jan 2004, Gerry Creager N5JXS wrote:
>
> > I think we're contemporaries with Xastir, but I may have you beat with
> > KarnCode contributions.  I had some questins, and tracked down some
> > sendmail anomolies Phil had in the original.  Sendmail:  That's the LAST
> > time I made THAT mistake!  At one point, Phil claimed there were less
> > than a dozen folks who really understand sendmail, and at least 4 of
> > them are clinically dead...
>
> I heard the guy who wrote Sendmail keeps the O'Reilly Sendmail book
> on his desk (which by the way is the thickest O'Reilly book by far)
> because even he can't remember how to configure everything that's in
> it.
>
> BTW:  I remember hacking on KA9Q & later JNOS code, both C and
> Assembly, in order to get some multi-port cards working that I
> needed on my DOS machine for TCP/IP packet.  I never submitted the
> patches back, but kept updating them for later versions of the
> TCP/IP code as I needed.  Two of us were running my patches.

When Phil moved from NET to NOS, I tried it on my Compaq DeskPro and it
wouldn't run (non-compatible IBM-compatible).  That's why I switched to
the K5JB version.  Joe (now SK) had added a lot of NOS-like features
and I ran it for several years before replacing the computer with a 286
that would run JNOS.  I recall doing a few minor hacks (mostly
cosmetic) on JNOS, as well, but never submitted them either.

I ran sendmail until about 2 years ago and still have the thick
O'Reilly book.