[Xastir] Offline TIGER maps

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Tue Jan 13 16:53:52 EST 2004

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004, Nick Kartsioukas wrote:

> Darn, guess that means I need to compile myself, rather than just use
> the Debian package ;)  Curses!

Yep.

> Still, is it possible to manually slurp the TIGER data that XASTIR
> fetches, so it can make use of it while offline?

Yes.  You'll of course end up with a bunch of raster images that are
not infinitely scaleable like the Shapefile vector data is, but it
can be done.

Look in your ~/.xastir/tmp directory.  If you've got ImageMagick
support in there (which you must if you're using the online map
images), then you can turn on Snapshots and see snapshot.geo and
snapshot.png get created.

Those are your map and your .geo file to go with it.

By zooming/panning where you wish, then disabling/re-enabling the
Snapshot button, you'll get a new snapshot created each time.  If
you leave the Snapshots enabled, you'll get a new one each five
minutes.