[Xastir] Festival(?) Error Message on Xastir Startup

John Bennett jabennett at insightbb.com
Fri Jan 30 13:18:45 EST 2004

Gale,

For the program to work you will need to be certain two files have
specific entries.

/etc/hosts  -- Check and be certain your hostname shows up there. For
example, your hosts file should contain a line similar to this:

127.0.0.1               bigbox localhost.localdomain localhost

where 'bigbox' is the host name (i.e., your prompt when logged in as
root is '[root at bigbox root]#'

/usr/share/festival/siteinit.scm -- You may need to create this file.
The location might be different for your flavor of linux (mine is RH9).
There should be a whole bunch of other files in this directory. The file
should contain a line like the following:

(set! server_access_list '("localhost" "bigbox"))

Replace 'bigbox' with your hostname. Restart festival in the server
mode, and you should be in business. In case you missed my posting
earlier that had a startup script for festival in the server mode, it is
attached. Note that you may need to tweak the paths to get it to work
since you are not using RH.

GL es 73,

John Bennett
n4xi