[Xastir] Non-functioning Menu.

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Fri Jul 2 12:21:32 EDT 2004

On Fri, 2 Jul 2004, Rich Hall wrote:

> >> Building with ShapeLib...... : ../shapelib-1.2.10
>
> When I did the initial build it failed to find shaplib.. so I put the arguments in
> for it and all was well. Then lastnight I also added the dbfawk args and as you saw
> it ignored it completely.

Well, I _think_ that is the wrong solution.  It should be finding
the libraries if they are put in standard locations.

> I was running as root and started it as root.

You should run the server as a normal user and run Xastir as same.
Running as root all the time is just asking for trouble.
Particularly security trouble.

In this case though you shouldn't be having a permission problem at
the server.

> Well here is one note on Core 2... It is running the 2.6.6 kernel as well as the
> Xorg X system.. not XFree86.I have another machine that has Core 1 on it with the
> latest 2.4 kernel and XFree86 for the X system. Also not that this is all of the
> latest version of the support modules.. and even when I build with the stuff not
> NEEDED it still does not work.. very puzzling. And I am fairly good at finding this
> stuff out and rarely ask for help so this is a big step for me to ask :-)

Understand.  I'm the same way.  I have to struggle with something
for quite a while before I stoop to asking for help.  ;-)

> Found out-of-range or non-existent value (902) for TRAIL_SEGMENT_DISTANCE in config
> file, changing to 1

All of those are normal.  It is building a config file for you.
Unfortunately it never gets saved because you crash.

> Warning: Cannot find callback list in XtAddCallback
> Warning: Cannot find callback list in XtAddCallback
> Warning: Cannot find callback list in XtAddCallback
> Warning: Cannot find callback list in XtAddCallback

Have you tried bringing Xastir up in debug mode?  Try this:

    xastir -v2047

just to see if you can get some clues as to where it is failing.
There's a possibility that we're doing things in the wrong order for
Xorg X, while XFree86 X and others are happy with it.