[Xastir] Maps again

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Sun Jul 4 18:02:26 EDT 2004

On Sun, 4 Jul 2004, James Jolin wrote:

> Got back to my map problems and something has me puzzeled. First the
> particulars:
>     Suse 9.0, xastir 1.3.2 stable, Imagemagick, pcre, dbfawk and
> shapelib are compiled in.
> Now, I downloaded a terraserver map of my area and I found it as a gif
> image in the ./xastir/tmp directory, but nowhere else.  Is there
> anything I can do with a gif image that xastir can use?  Can't find
> anything in readme maps.  It is a nicer map than the .map file I am
> currently using now.

If you mean you want to use a static GIF image as a map instead of
the live internet terraserver feed, why would you want to do that?
Perhaps 'cuz you want to run disconnected from the 'net or perhaps
mobile?

You can easily make a map out of a terraserver image by turning on
the Snapshots function.  Go collect the image and the .geo file to
go with it from your ~/.xastir/tmp directory, then put those in your
maps directory somewhere and then reindex.  You could also manually
create a .geo file for it and then follow the same procedure of
installing/indexing it.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer