[Xastir] Problem: Center & Zoom ver 1.3.3

Tom Russo russo at bogoflux.losalamos.nm.us
Mon Jul 5 14:35:29 EDT 2004

On Mon, Jul 05, 2004 at 11:10:43AM -0700, a Mr. Richard Feyler of Fort Lee, New Jersey <archer at eskimo.com> writes 'Dear Rosanne Rosannadanna':
> On Mon, 5 Jul 2004, Richard E. Polivka wrote:
>
> > When I do a right-click "center and zoom", the selected location changes
> > from what is picked to what is displayed in the option box. As an
> > example, I click on 43.01052N/88.05628W and the location put in the
> > option box is 43.015648N/88.016953W.
> >
> > It appears that the software is picking up the mouse location on the
> > selection of the option, not when the right-click is done. I admit that
> > this could be trivial but it is a problem.
> >
> > BTW, this package is proving to be quite powerful and has attacted
> > interest here in the Milwaukee area. Kudos to the group.
>
> Please create a bug report for it on SourceForge.

Hmmm, --- if I understand it correctly from looking at the Center_Zoom function
in main.c, center&zoom always defaults to the center of the current window, no
matter where you right-click for the menu.  At least, that's what it does for
me -- no matter where I click to get the center&zoom dialog, it always has the
same pair of lat/lon coordinates in it, and that corresponds to the center of
my window.

I don't remember the exact email exchange that sparked the center&zoom feature,
but I do recall that the user requesting it wanted something that allowed
arbitrary zooming, but maintained the center point and didn't require him to
click precisely in the center of the window to get it.

Perhaps the "center&zoom" feature should behave as Richard expects (centering
on the point clicked, but allowing the user to override by changing the
coordinates in the dialog), and a separate "set zoom level" dialog that only
changes the zoom level without changing the center would serve the other
purpose?  But just changing center&zoom would undo the feature the other user
wanted.

Tijeras, NM  QRPL#1592 K2#398  SOC#236 AHTB#1 http://www.qsl.net/~km5vy/
 "One man alone can be pretty dumb sometimes, but for real bona fide
 stupidity, there ain't nothin' can beat teamwork." - Edward Abbey