[Xastir] Problem: Center & Zoom ver 1.3.3

Richard E. Polivka r.polivka at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jul 5 15:40:30 EDT 2004

Tom Russo wrote:

>On Mon, Jul 05, 2004 at 11:10:43AM -0700, a Mr. Richard Feyler of Fort Lee, New Jersey <archer at eskimo.com> writes 'Dear Rosanne Rosannadanna':
>

>>On Mon, 5 Jul 2004, Richard E. Polivka wrote:
>>

>>>When I do a right-click "center and zoom", the selected location changes
>>>from what is picked to what is displayed in the option box. As an
>>>example, I click on 43.01052N/88.05628W and the location put in the
>>>option box is 43.015648N/88.016953W.
>>>
>>>It appears that the software is picking up the mouse location on the
>>>selection of the option, not when the right-click is done. I admit that
>>>this could be trivial but it is a problem.
>>>
>>>BTW, this package is proving to be quite powerful and has attacted
>>>interest here in the Milwaukee area. Kudos to the group.
>>>

>>Please create a bug report for it on SourceForge.
>>

>Hmmm, --- if I understand it correctly from looking at the Center_Zoom function
>in main.c, center&zoom always defaults to the center of the current window, no
>matter where you right-click for the menu.  At least, that's what it does for
>me -- no matter where I click to get the center&zoom dialog, it always has the
>same pair of lat/lon coordinates in it, and that corresponds to the center of
>my window.
>
>I don't remember the exact email exchange that sparked the center&zoom feature,
>but I do recall that the user requesting it wanted something that allowed
>arbitrary zooming, but maintained the center point and didn't require him to
>click precisely in the center of the window to get it.
>
>Perhaps the "center&zoom" feature should behave as Richard expects (centering
>on the point clicked, but allowing the user to override by changing the
>coordinates in the dialog), and a separate "set zoom level" dialog that only
>changes the zoom level without changing the center would serve the other
>purpose?  But just changing center&zoom would undo the feature the other user
>wanted.

If I misunderstood the function, sorry. It appears that "zoom level"
will do the task for me. I can right-click on the location, select "zoom
level" and it will go to that point and zoom at the same time. Maybe
"zoom level" should be changed to read "Re-center and zoom" which it
seems to do. Then "center and zoom" could be labeled "zoom on center
screen".

Just a thought.

Richard, N6NKO