[Xastir] Problem: Center & Zoom ver 1.3.3

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Tue Jul 6 13:59:06 EDT 2004

On Mon, 5 Jul 2004, Richard E. Polivka wrote:

> Tom Russo wrote:
>
> >Hmmm, --- if I understand it correctly from looking at the Center_Zoom function
> >in main.c, center&zoom always defaults to the center of the current window, no
> >matter where you right-click for the menu.  At least, that's what it does for
> >me -- no matter where I click to get the center&zoom dialog, it always has the
> >same pair of lat/lon coordinates in it, and that corresponds to the center of
> >my window.
> >
> >I don't remember the exact email exchange that sparked the center&zoom feature,
> >but I do recall that the user requesting it wanted something that allowed
> >arbitrary zooming, but maintained the center point and didn't require him to
> >click precisely in the center of the window to get it.
> >
> >Perhaps the "center&zoom" feature should behave as Richard expects (centering
> >on the point clicked, but allowing the user to override by changing the
> >coordinates in the dialog), and a separate "set zoom level" dialog that only
> >changes the zoom level without changing the center would serve the other
> >purpose?  But just changing center&zoom would undo the feature the other user
> >wanted.
> >

> If I misunderstood the function, sorry. It appears that "zoom level"
> will do the task for me. I can right-click on the location, select "zoom
> level" and it will go to that point and zoom at the same time. Maybe
> "zoom level" should be changed to read "Re-center and zoom" which it
> seems to do. Then "center and zoom" could be labeled "zoom on center
> screen".

Took a look at the code (I wrote it, but couldn't remember how the
centering worked).  Tom is correct, it fills the blanks in with the
current center of the screen.  You can change it at will with the
input field.  It does not pick up the mouse position for the center.
One of the ideas behind this function is to set up two or more
Xastir displays identically.

Centering can be done via a middle mouse click (which also zooms out
by 2x), by using the Center function on the right-click mouse menu,
or by using the zoom level functions.

I'll certainly entertain ideas for better function labels.