[SPAM] Re: [Xastir] findy trails

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Wed Jun 16 19:48:36 EDT 2004

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004, soldering fun wrote:

> - I've done some tinytrak3 flashing+testing and still having the
> problem. today's data:
> http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/raw.cgi?call=N4YLC-1&time=24&start=24
>
> in looking at the data, the 2 trends i notice about 'w' vs 'W' in
> WIDE2-2:
> 'W' appears only when message contains qAo.... qAR always appears with
> 'W'
> It seems like multiple intermediaries pass the 'w' instead of 'W'..
> which makes me
> wonder if it isn't a problem in my hardware/setup.

Can you look at it on the air with your Xastir setup?  If you have a
radio/TNC combo or a Soundcard/Radio combo you should be able to set
it up.  What I'm wondering is if you're transmitting the 'w' or
whether somebody along the way is corrupting the packet.

> - I can probably mod xastir locally to ignore case.  What do you think
> I should
> do?

You could certainly modify util.c:valid_path().  There's a section
at line 2498 that looks like this:

            else if ((ch <'A' || ch > 'Z')
                    && (ch <'0' || ch > '9')
                    && ch != '-'
                    && ch != 'q'        // Q-construct stuff
                    && ch != 'r'        // Q-construct stuff
                    && ch != 'o') {     // Q-construct stuff

                if (debug_level & 1)
                    fprintf(stderr, "valid_path: Bad Path: Anti-loop stuff from aprsd or lower-case chars found\n");
                return(0);          // wrong character in path
            }

I'd just add another line in like this:

Add it between the '-' and the 'q' lines, and you should be good.

I hesitate to add this to the Xastir code in general because it
looks like a localized problem that you're having there.