[Xastir] Can't connect to internet server.

Mike Fenske mike_fenske at telus.net
Thu Jun 17 11:18:48 EDT 2004

Good morning all. I can't seem to connect Xastir to an internet server. I get the following message "Error opening device 1 hard fail". I just have dial-up internet and don't regularly use an internet server, but I was able to connect to one several months ago. I am trying to connect to aprswest.net:14580. I have set my passcode to 22956 and my filter parameters to "p/VE7/VA7".

If I telnet to aprswest:14580, I can connect fine and if I send "user VE7MKF-1 pass 22956 vers XASTIR 1.3.3 filter p/VE7/VA7", I then start to receive data, so aprswest.net is working OK and it's not my firewall blocking it.

I set debug level to 1024, I get the following when starting the interface:
Start Host lookup
Creating pipe
Host fork
Parent closing write end of pipe
Host fork
Child closing read end of pipe
Set alarm
NO HOST
Clear alarm 1
Clear alarm 2
Child closing write end of pipe
Parent closing read end of pipe

Using the latest CVS of Xastir, SuSE 7.3 with Kernel 2.2.19. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Mike Fenske
VE7MKF

Where's Mike? http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/find.cgi?ve7mkf-1&norelief=1