[Xastir] Xastir is stack smashing?

Mike Markowski mm at UDel.Edu
Fri Jun 18 09:29:42 EDT 2004

Thanks, guys, for your responses.

> On Fri, 18 Jun 2004, Chris Abbott wrote:
>
> > Um, be very careful with emerge world, that's a super dangerous command,

I run the command more or less daily on my work & home desktops,
and work-supplied laptop.  All different hardware and never a
problem till now.  Of course, now that I've written that, no doubt
they'll all go up in flames today!

On Fri 18-Jun-04 at  240 EDT, Curt Mills wrote:
> Stack smashing sounds like a bad thing, and it is.  It's possible
> that on some systems Xastir just crashes, while on others it could
> return meaningful error messages.  We'll have to keep an eye on
> things.  If Xastir starts crashing more while doing certain things,
> we might have introduced some new bugs into the code somewhere.

In this case, Curt, xastir doesn't even start.  The output in my 1st
post on this is all that ever happens.  Over the weekend I'll see
if I can use strace to pinpoint the problem and hack at it a bit.

I haven't changed kernels, though, which is the weird thing, because I
agree with you, Chris, that it sounds like a kernel issue.  I'll
keep you posted on any progress I make.

        Mike  AB3AP