[Xastir] Xastir is stack smashing?

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Fri Jun 18 02:40:24 EDT 2004

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004, Chris Abbott wrote:

> Um, be very careful with emerge world, that's a super dangerous command,
> it has been known to break machines quite easily, i'm not sure why, it
> just does. I run Gentoo here also, and I'm using 1.3.2 stable, I've
> never had it say anything stack smashing, sounds kernel level. I'm not
> sure what stacks are, but i do know i use 8k instead of 4k with a 2.6.6
> kernel(there's an option for this somewhere in the menuconfig).

Stacks are used constantly, by pretty much all software on your
system.  Any local variables used in a block of code, any
calls/returns to/from subroutines, all use the stack.

Stack smashing sounds like a bad thing, and it is.  It's possible
that on some systems Xastir just crashes, while on others it could
return meaningful error messages.  We'll have to keep an eye on
things.  If Xastir starts crashing more while doing certain things,
we might have introduced some new bugs into the code somewhere.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer