[Xastir] use D700 TNC for xastir and built-in APRS?

Bob Snyder rsnyder at toontown.erial.nj.us
Mon Jun 21 12:17:56 EDT 2004

On Mon, Jun 21, 2004 at 08:50:31AM -0700, Curt, WE7U wrote:

> I've heard of people hooking up an additional TNC to the MIC/SPKR or
> data port of the radio.  That tends to make me think that you can't
> use the D700 TNC for dual-duty.  They might have been doing that so
> that they could have a TNC on both sides of the radio though.
>
> Hopefully you'll get a very direct yes or no from some Kenwood
> owners.

I don't *think* it can be done...  The D700 can be commanded while not
in Packet/TNC mode, but I don't think it'll pass packets out the serial
port when in APRS mode.

The docs on the commands it understands are here:
http://www.radio-active.net.au/web/ham/d7.html

It might be worth experimenting with the TNC and TC commands.

Bob N2KGO