[Xastir] Is there a way

Jason Winningham jdw at eng.uah.edu
Fri Jun 25 12:35:20 EDT 2004

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004, Jason Hitesman wrote:

> To create local maps from Tiger (and Terraserver/Toposerver) data
> easily?

I tried this same thing a few months back.  What I did to automate the
process was to write a script that generated both a URL for wget to
fetch the map image from the Tiger server and generate a .geo file to
match.

What I found was that, no matter what size area I tried to map, the
left and right edges of the maps were way off scale.  The scale seem to
shorten up toward the edge, so that where the maps met you'd see the
same set of features on each side of the "seam" between them, and
neither side was right.

On your shapefile problem, you may want to check permissions and
ownerships on the shapefiles.  If someone else owns the files and the
mode is 600, they won't work. (or so I've heard :)

-Jason
kg4wsv