[Xastir] Is there a way

Jason Hitesman jason at hitesman.com
Fri Jun 25 14:32:55 EDT 2004

WARNING: Unsanitized content follows.

Curt, WE7U wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Jun 2004, Jason Hitesman wrote:
>
>>I agree with the idea that internet maps should not be considered the
>>"do-all/be-all" but it seems like it would be nice to be able to more
>>easily use them to create local maps.  The internet maps in xastir were
>>something that really appealed to me as they made it VERY easy to get up
>>and running quickly compared to the other APRS software I tried
>>(espically since I haven't found a good source for local maps on the
>>other packages.)
>

> But, once you've tasted vector maps, why would you ever want to go
> back to raster?  Just my own opinion.  Vector maps are smaller,
> faster, infinitely scalable.  I'd like to eventually go with nothing
> but point & vector maps, leaving raster behind, but I'll probably
> always have a need for topo raster maps due to my outdoor interests.
> I can already do vector contour lines on top of raster satellite
> images or vector street maps.

Good point.  I MUCH prefer vector maps to raster.  My brain wasn't fully
engaged yesterday, I know the TIGER data is vector to begin with but
spaced out that it would be rasterized by the time it was captured like
that.

> Sounds like you've got problems with the Shapelib you installed.
> Have you tried the world shapefile map listed in README.MAPS?  Tried
> snagging the latest Shapelib library and reinstalling that portion,
> then re-configuring/re-compiling compiling Xastir to use it?

After I deleted the drg in my maps directory the shapefile maps suddenly
started working.  So I now have local shapefiles for all of AZ and CA
which pretty much covers what I need.  Not sure why they weren't showing
up before, could have sworn I had the permissions right but maybe I
slipped.  After deleting the DRG I had I reset all the map permissions
so maybe that was it.

>>I had to ditch the DRG I had grabbed - it probably was corrupted.  Once
>>I added it to the Linux box Xastir would segfault trying to reindex the
>>maps :(
>
> That's usually a problem with the libgeotiff not matching your
> libtiff version.  You can also have problems with libgeotiff not
> being compiled with libproj support if you install them in the wrong
> order, but I don't think that causes segfaults.  That first case
> does though.

I did originally compile them in the wrong order (wasn't reading the
instructions just compiling libaries left and right) and did have a
version mismatch.  But then I went back and started over following the
instructions...maybe something was still left behind and fouled it up.
This was on my Linux system.  On my Cygwin system I don't get the crash
but the DRG just plain dosn't show up.  But on the Cygwin I followed the
instructions to the letter.  So maybe I do need to recompile on Linux
and it was a bad DRG.

Guess I just gotta do some more experimenting!

- ----
Jason Hitesman
N8INJ