[Xastir] Xastir vs. Others

Dick C. Reichenbach dreichen at columbus.rr.com
Mon Jun 28 23:00:09 EDT 2004

Granted that Xastir is very, very good.  I took my XBOX with Linux and
Xastir and put on a very impressive demonstration during field day.
They also asked me to come back and do it again for the club.

Using a CRON job, I saved the NWS radar .gif files on my hard drive
every 10 minutes.  Then I selected the best of them (the ones that
showed local storm activity) and wrote a small script that copied them
to the maps directory every 10 seconds.  Then I told the .geo file to
reload the map every 10 seconds.  Then I overlaid it on both my PalmAPRS
maps and some local ERSI/Tiger maps.  It made for a very nice demonstration.

I would just also use this moment to remember that Xastir still has some
problems that go unfixed.  It's not perfect, but it is pretty good.

Dick R.