[Xastir] Weather Alert Counties and DBFAWK?

Tom Russo russo at bogoflux.losalamos.nm.us
Thu Mar 4 18:45:17 EST 2004

Is there anyone out there who is using both DBFAWK and weather alert counties?
Do the weather alerts actually highlight counties the same way that the
non-dbfawk code does?

I have noticed that ever since I enabled DBFAWK (months ago), none of the
weather alerts show up.  I've got a c_, z_, and w_ file in my
/usr/local/share/xastir/Counties directory and have "Enable Weather Alert
Counties" checked in the maps menu.  There are a lot of weather alerts in my
area this week (record precipitation), but no sign that xastir can find the
right shape to highlight.  All of these alerts have alert counties like
"NM_Z003" and such.  Using testawk I can see that z_ddmmyy does have a
record whose key is NM_Z003, but for whatever reason xastir doesn't highlight
it.

I have also noticed (just yesterday), that the zone shape file (z_DDmmmYY)
I downloaded frim www.nws.noaa.gov/geodata/ yesterday has an extra attribute
in the dbf file (SHORTNAME) that the older version I'd downloaded months
ago doesn't, so the nwsz_ddmmyy.dbfawk file no longer has the right DBFINFO
field.  Even fixing the dbfawk file so the "cannot find signature" error goes
away doesn't help.

Tijeras, NM  QRPL#1592 K2#398  SOC#236 AHTB#1 http://www.qsl.net/~km5vy/
 "It is inhumane in my opinion to force people who have a genuine
  medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently
  view it as some kind of recreational activity."  -- Dave Barry