[Xastir] Interesting APRSdos map!

Henk de Groot henk.de.groot at hetnet.nl
Fri Mar 5 18:03:04 EST 2004

At 18:50 4-3-2004 -0600, Gerry Creager N5JXS wrote:
>Another random thought:  If we were Pacific-centric, we'd almost certainly
>make our longitude consistent with the 0-360 model...
>
>There's an outside chance APRSdos did cartography right by intent. Higher
>probability it was by chance.

When looking at the map format there is only a coordinate for the top left
corner and a number of pixels per degree. I think Bob just starts drawing
at the top left corner of the map and just moves in steps right and down
and doesn't care about any right hand side or bottom value. I have not
tried it in APRSdos how it actually looks like.

Also Xastir does display this map, it just sticks out to the right and any
station on that part of the world will not be ploted on the map but inside
the "normal" area. If it would wrap arround then it would be okay...

It's a pitty there are no globe-shaped displays, that would be nice for
this one... Still if I look at a simple program like Xearth it can be done,
but it would require smarter map drawing code.

Kind regards,

Henk.